I have to apologise, I have neglected my blogging duties of late. There are a few good reasons for it though. Remember how I said I was going to the cocoa farm in Kumasi last weekend? Well I did, but it was awful! Not the farm itself, just the weekend in general…
It turned out that Charlotte’s ‘friend’ Sadet, who set up the computer for us and made a show of wanting to look after us and make sure we were comfortable, only wanted one thing: to make Charlotte have his 10 love babies. I kid you not. He took us out for tea last Saturday night, him and his friend ‘Romeo.’ I was feeling really weird about the whole thing, at the time I wasn’t sure why, all I knew was that I couldn’t relax and have a good time. They were banging on about taking us out dancing and stuff but by that point I felt so uncomfortable that I told them to take me back to Sadet’s, where we were staying, and I would go to bed, while they could go out. But in the end everyone ended up staying at the house.
So I went to bed and a short time later Charlotte came in. It was in the morning that she told me that Sadet had hit on her (this is a married man, living in a house right next door to his mother-in-law!), and told her that if she was his woman she would have 10 love babies by now. So that was why I was feeling uncomfortable! Somehow I sensed that the whole thing wasn’t entirely innocent. I had made sure I talked about Stu all night, because Charlotte seemed to think that the friend was meant to act as a diversion while Sadet could have his way. How stupid! Some of the men here are horrible – apparently, when you marry a Ghanaian man, you expect him to have girlfriends all over the place. I dislike it immensely; no wonder they’ve all got AIDS :\
It was on the Sunday that I came down with gastro, or something similar. We had a 5 hour road trip back to Accra (after visiting the cocoa farm), driving over some of the most disgusting, pot-holed roads I’ve ever seen in my life and I was feeling sick as. Every hole, every bump, every slam of the brakes my stomach lurched and by the time we got back to Accra I was in tears. Needless to say I only spent half of my last week at the Daily Guide and the rest of it recovering!
I’m sure Ghana’s drivers are the worst in the world. I dare you to challenge me differently! Overtaking on blind corners and crests (hell, even Tasmanian driver’s do that), overtaking constantly despite on-coming traffic, no seatbelts, 3 to 4 people piled on motorbikes (sans helmets, naturally), kids sitting on their mum’s laps in the passenger seat…Ghana has an horrific road toll, is it any wonder why?
I’m in the process of getting some pics of the cocoa farm on here. Yours truly, in her daftness, left the camera memory card in my computer and went away for the weekend with my camera minus the memory card, thus no photos. Subsequently any photos of the cocoa farm that go on here will be Charlotte’s. Plus, my poor little laptop has gone and got himself some viruses, so he is being held at arms’ length until the computer whiz arrives. Which is actually Monday night! Yay! We’re both very much looking forward to it.
And it’s our last couple of days’ at Salima’s too, thank goodness. Things here have been getting on our nerves lately, mainly because they (‘they’ being Salima and her son Farouk, who turned up the other day) seem to think its ok to take and use whatever they want of ours and not ask. I hate that sort of thing with a passion, I don’t care whose house you’re in. If you want to use something that isn’t yours, ask. Or at least acknowledge that you used it.
I hope all is well at home guys. Love to all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment