Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tourists - A Rude, Crude and Tacky Bunch

Omg I can't stand Americans! They're everywhere! Well, everywhere in the developed world, it would appear. By the way I'm exhausted, so if I say anything overtly racist or just not funny please forgive me but if I hear one more American accent making a stupid comment I shall scream!

My thing with Americans started a long time ago and since then I've met some really nice ones but for the vast majority, (actually the same can be said for Brits and Aussies when you run into them at 'the sights') they are just awful, they drawl and make themselves sound stupid by talking slowly, they wear innapropriate clothes and generally have no idea about the places they're visiting besides the fact that its what you do when you go to a country. Like the Acropolis in Athens, where we were today. I had a cringe moment when an Aussie pensioner got on a bus and he's shouting at the girl who's processing his payment "pensioner discount, do we get a pensioner discount?" *Cueing Aussie accent* "18 U-rose? {euros} God that's expensive. Blaaaaa ha hahah haha ha ha ha..." ew.

While I'm on a I-can't-stand-tourists rant (excepting ourselves of course ;) why do tourists consistently exhibit a penchant for beige/khaki cut-off pants (his n hers naturally), socks and thongs (yup, the old socks and sandals thing has been taken to a whole new level) happy pants and jean-shorts? On men, no less....Hehe!

At the palace of the grand vizier in Marrakech was where I had my epiphany. I grabbed my note book and started detailing the amount of derranged fashion f-ups I was witnessing, most notably among well-to-do middle-aged French tourists, who, being European, should know better. Subsequently all I really took in from our visit to this lovely place was the orange trees and something along the lines of "ceder-wood roofs."

In Casablanca, I turned my snooty nose up at the silly bints who rocked up to see the beautiful mosque of King Hassan II in singlets and mini skirts. Oh please! Unless you can't read, everybody knows that you need to at least cover your knees and shoulders when you visit a mosque, otherwise they don't let you in! On my way out I witnessed a mini-skirt clad woman arguing with a shawl supplied by the mosque, so I had a chuckle and continued on my merry fully-clad way.

We write this blog to you from Greece, where its a perfect, sunny 30 degrees or so everyday and I'm getting a little depressed at the thought of coming home to the cold :( its been pretty miserable there by the sound of it, lots of rain and lots of swine flu cases, somebody mentioned that we may be quarantined for a week before we can go back to work, to make sure we havn't brought it back with us so...bring it on! Better practice my sniffles...oh wait, I don't have to. I've caught Stu's cold and been battling hayfever so we're both well practiced in the sniffle stakes. Hence why I'm a little tired and not with it. Tomorrow we head to Naxos for 4 days, (one of the islands) for some touring, swimming, relaxing, horse riding and food. Lots. of. food. Yay! My favourite! I discovered that Stu doesn't like baklava, which is the height of blasphemy in these parts. I would understand if it were snails or something but this is a dessert! Its yummy! But obviously not to everyone and he's gettting sick of me banging on about it but I can't help it :p

Time is up my friends, thankyou for your time and we'll endevour to share again soon. Love to all, and we hope you all had a grand weekend xx

No comments:

Post a Comment